May 14th, 2012, Lenovo announced the Lenovo ThinkStaion E31, an entry-level workstation meant for professionals that need more power than a PC but are on a PC budget. The ThinkStation E31 comes in either a mini-tower or small form factor (SFF) case and both offer an Intel® Xeon® Processor E3 with enhanced memory performance and graphics abilities.
The Lenovo ThinkStation E31 tower model will be available beginning June 5th 2012 and the Lenovo ThinkStation E31 SFF will be available beginning July 13th 2012. Pricing for these models starts at $629 (U.S.D.) They will be available through Lenovo’s business partners and through www.lenovo.com.
- Integrated graphics & 2D and select 3D
- Certified by leading ISVs, including Autodesk, Dassault, PTC and SieUp to 32GB Memory (Support for ECC and Non-ECC UDIMMs)
- Support for Intel Core & Xeon processors
- Up to 3 HDD (tower) and Up to 2 HDD (small form factor)
- 25 liter chassis for the Tower / 11 liter chassis for the small form supports Windows (7 and XP), Red Hat and is Windows 8 ready
- 3rd Generation Intel Core processors
- Introduction of 11 liter small form factor
- Up to nVIDIA Q4000 (Tower), Up to Q600 (SFF)
- 4 USB 3.0
- 450W Power Supply (240W for small form factor)
- 3rd External HDD and support for RAID 5
- Supports 1600MHz DDR3 memory DIMMS
- Upgraded to Climate Savers 80 Plus Platinum
The Lenovo ThinkStation E31 tower and SFF feature the Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v2 product family or the 3rd Generation Intel® Core i7 Processor. They also use Error Correcting Code (ECC) memory and 1600 MHz DDr3 Memory Dimms. Also included are USB 3.0 ports for faster transfer speeds on USB devices and peripherals.
Both models of the E31 provide professional graphics capabilities with the option of either an Intel® HD Graphics P4000 or NVIDIA Quadro Graphic cards (up to the Q4000 in the tower model and Q600 in the SFF). The E31 ThinkStation can handle end users’ large storage needs with up to 9TB of storage for the tower model or 6TB on the Small Form Factor.
The Lenovo ThinkStation E31 is meant to be a budget workstation but yet still provide enough power to use powerful design programs. Equipped with Windows 7 Professional, the ThinkStation E31 workstation supports a variety of independent software vendor (ISV) applications for professionals in the engineering, design and financial services industry, including Adobe, Autodesk, Dassault, PTC, Solidworks and Siemens.
Sustainability (Green Computing)
The workstation’s eco-conscious design offers up to a 92 percent efficient power supply, as well as Energy Star 5.2, 80 Plus Platinum, EPEAT Gold and GREENGUARD certifications. Our innovative design allows our workstation to run cooler and quieter. Additionally, at less than half the size of the mini-tower, the newest SFF (11L) option provides an ideal space-saving choice for smaller office work areas.
Lenovo ThinkStation E31 Data Sheet
How Well Does It Really Work?
I don't know but it sounds like a good machine at a good price. I'm working with Lenovo now to get a review unit so stay posted!