Epson announced a new line of large-format color plotters aimed at architects, engineers and GIS professionals. It is the SureColor T-Series line. This line has three models; T3000 (24”), T5000 (36”), and the T7000 (44”). Each are said to deliver a “combination of precision, performance and value with the fastest plotting speeds in its class, as well as industry-leading plotting accuracy and all-new Epson UltraChrome® XD pigment ink for brilliant, crisp output on virtually any media type”
For more information see:
This new series of Epson Large Format printers is Epson’s entry into the technical printing market. Epson has had large format printers before, but their technology was geared more towards graphics, fine art, photo, proofing, and large labels.
“The SureColor T-Series was developed based on direct feedback from architects and engineers who consistently underscored the need for easy and reliable ways to make accurate, large-format plots quickly and cost effectively” said Timothy Check, product manager, Professional Imaging, Epson America, Inc.
The T-Series plotters machines have these key features: (taken from Epson’s website)
- Fast print speeds at 25 seconds for a D-sized plot and up to 110 plots per hour
- Extreme Precision Output with 2880 x 1440 dpi resolution (maximum)
- New brilliant long-lasting 4-color pigment-based ink system
- Professional media handling for plain paper up to 1.5 mm thick posterboard
- High-Capacity ink system for low printing costs
- Minimum line thickness as little as 0.018 mm
- New UltraChrome XD inks for long lasting brilliant color even on inexpensive plain paper
- Accurate line placement to within +/- 0.1%
- One-inch wide print head with 720 nozzles per color
- 5-cartridge (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Photo Black, Matte Black)
- Includes as standard one Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (1.1 compatible) and one Gigabit Ethernet port
- Macintosh: Leopard 10.5, Snow Leopard 10.6, Lion 10.7, or Mountain Lion 10.8 (Intel based)
- Windows: Windows 7, Vista® or XP (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Additional Roll Media Adapters (Standard is single roll)
- Optional internal 250 GB capacity print server
These features look very promising to me. I’m working on getting a unit to review. These printers come standard with one roll for printing, but according to the Epson website you can purchase one additional roll for your machine of choice. There is also an option for a 250 GB print server which for large volume printing or for larger companies will probably be a must have addition. No word on the cost for these additional items but here is the pricing for the three, standard, models.
SureColor T3000 $2,995 (USD) 24” printer width (maximum)
SureColor T5000 $3,995 (USD) 36” Printer Width (maximum)
SureColor T7000 $4,995 (USD) 44” Printer Width (maximum)
Epson’s website also claims that their stands are really great. We will see. Typically printer stands are bad.